Portugal Plastic Pact Initiative
Led by Associaciao Smart Waste Portugal, a Portuguese business development network, the Plastic Pact Initiative belongs to the global network of pacts led by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, which is attempting to implement a circular economy model for plastics. The pact includes a roadmap for 2025 which has among its goals:
- Eliminating single-use plastics considered problematic and/or unnecessary
- Ensuring that 100% of packaging is reusable, recyclable or compostable
It also includes some individual voluntary commitments by companies, some of which are towards consumption reduction: https://pactoplasticos.pt/boasPraticas.html
The pact aims to:
- Reduce plastic consumption by avoiding the consumption of unnecessary products and packaging
- innovate so that all plastic products can be reused.
- Ensure that all plastic is effectively recycled.
- Significantly increase the incorporation of recycled plastics in new products.
- Ensure this material stays in the economy as long as possible.
- Ensure plastics never end up in nature.