Burgas: Black Sea Coast
Burgas is the fourth largest city in Bulgaria located on the Black sea coast. It seeks and introduces innovative and complementary waste management solutions.
As part of the circular cities declaration, the Municipality of Burgas has built an infrastructure to prevent the disposal of recyclable waste, including:
- centres for separate waste collection
- the installation for separating waste
- a composting plant for separately collected plant waste
- the construction of a waste recycling plant.
- An eco-park built on the regional landfill territory for environmentally friendly collection and the storage of specific waste streams, including hazardous ones.
In order to address plastic pollution, a plan has been approved for limiting single-use plastic products in administrative buildings and premises of the Municipal Council and the Municipal Administration of Burgas.
As a tourist centre on the Black Sea, the Burgas Municipality has launched an initiative to develop a “blue label” standard, which will be awarded as a mark of quality to restaurants and entertainment and other businesses. The requirement for awarding a “blue label” is that businesses do not use or offer single-use plastic products (bottles, straws, cups, utensils) to customers. Businesses awarded with the “blue label” standard are advertised on the city tourist portal Go to Burgas.